Hello!
This is my first blog entry ever so I am going to take some time to introduce myself. My name is Judy Hoffman and I am a math teacher at Eastview High School. Eastview is in Apple Valley, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis. We are the Eastview Lightning! I am in my 8th year at Eastview. Prior to EVHS, I taught in the far western suburbs of Chicago off and on for about 15 years.
I am nearing the completion of my master's degree through a program at Saint Mary's University. I have done action research projects on formative assessments, reflect on learning, and grading practices, all topics that I am very interested in. As part of our culminating activities, we are being asked to begin a blog related to education. So I am going give this a try.
I hope that this blog can be a space for me to share my ideas and thoughts about things going on in my classroom and world of education. I hope that I can also learn from others as well. I am currently teaching Geometry and College Algebra/Probability and Statistics (CAPS). We are in the Statistics portion of CAPS which always results in many questions on my part.
I have found that many students who have a difficult time with math don't really see the relevance in it. They simply see math as a series of problems that have single correct answers that are near magical in thier appearance. These students fail to see the creativity in math. They don't find the beauty in it.
What kind of projects can I incorporate into my lessons that will help students see that math is relevant amd elegant?
No comments:
Post a Comment